Why Join us?
Regardless of the type of job you currently have, or will have in the future, chances are you will be required to do some speaking in public. However, the fear of public speaking still ranks as one of our top fears.... even before death. At Leighton Buzzard Better Speakers Club, we help you take the fear out of public speaking. By surrounding you with passionate, friendly and knowledgeable people, you will be able to quickly reach your public speaking goal. Learning public speaking with Leighton Buzzard Better Speakers Club will:
Improve your communication skill, leadership skill and massively improve your confidence;
Help you to read and understand people better;
Ensure you can effectively get your message across to audience of any size;
.... And most importantly, give you a voice;
A typical club night
Club nights are always fun, extremely exciting and give you the opportunity to show off those hours spent practising. Meetings are held monthly on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday. Club meetings start at 7:30pm and end at 9:30om. A typical evening will include:
• Prepared Speeches. Three club members deliver a 5-7 minute's prepared speech. A prepared speech gives a practical approach to using the techniques developed through using the manuals and observing other club members;
• Impromptu speaking (Table Topics). Here you will develop the ability to organise thoughts quickly and respond to an impromptu question or topic. Members are asked to give a 1-2-minute speech on a given topic;
• Evaluations. To grow as speakers, feedback is critical. Often the harshest critics are speakers themselves. Fellow members remind the speaker of their good point and make suggestions where members can enhance the speeches;
• Meeting Ends. Awards, reminders, future meeting and upcoming events are announced.
Becoming a Member
The membership fee is approximately £9 monthly. The fees pay for manuals, room rental, and other materials to help members become the best speaker & leaders they can be.
The self-paced learning and development programme is a structured series of 10 projects which will help to develop both your communication and leadership skills.
- Project 1: The Ice Breaker
- Project 2: Organise Your Speech
- Project 3: Get to the Point
- Project 4: How to Say It
- Project 5: Your Body Speaks
- Project 6: Vocal Variety
- Project 7: Research your Topic
- Project 8: Get Comfortable with Visual Aids
- Project 9: Persuade with Power
- Project 10: Inspire Your Audience
- Project 1: Listening
- Project 2: Critical Thinking
- Project 3: Giving Feedback
- Project 4: Time Management
- Project 5: Planning and Implementation
- Project 6: Organisation and Delegation
- Project 7: Facilitation
- Project 8: Motivation
- Project 9: Mentoring
- Project 10: Team Building
Weekly meetings and past events
Leighton Buzzard Better Speakers began life in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, in 1992. Approximately 10 years ago, the club realised that most of the members were coming from Leighton Buzzard area and the club was relocated to the town centre. Our club is now located at Delta House, Hockliffe Street Baptist Church.
Leighton Buzzard Better Speakers Club is an affiliate of Toastmasters International. Toastmasters International is a world leader in communication and leadership development. The organisation has more than 345,000 memberships. Members improve their speaking and leadership skills by attending one of the 15,900 clubs in 142 countries that make up the global network of meeting locations. Join us and develop the skills needed for building confidence and success.
Errol Thomas Jr
The Leighton Buzzard Council hosted the International Food Day on the 5th June 2016. The event featured cuisine from all over the world and included mini-Olympics, scavenger hunt and mad hatter tea party for the kids. Our club was invited to MC the event and members got the opportunity to practice their skills in front of hundreds of Read more about Leighton Buzzard Food Festival 2016[…]
The success of Toastmaster is down to individuals who are able to see the potential in members, take the rough crystal, cut and polished them into confident, shining gemstones. And by standing on the shoulders of these giants members are able to see further and accomplish things they didn’t believe they could. Leighton Buzzard Better Speaker recently Read more about Gem and Giants[…]